Thursday 18 August 2011

Tuesday, August 9: DEPART, FINALLY

Our flight is delayed until 6:50 p.m. which is a godsend as we, especially me, predictably need as much time as possible – I keep unpacking and repacking the packing Samantha and I did the night before – still making different decisions re: exactly what I will need for 3 months away from home.  I get the feeling there’s no way I can get this right and, so, I start throwing things in, taking things out, hoping it will work.  The big things, anyway, are not the clothes, although I’m always desperate to be warm, so I think about that a lot, but it is the medications, contacts, teaching materials and I think I have those right.
We are at O’Hare in the security line and I’m eating a chicken sandwich from McDonald’s that Paul  bought me hours ago.  As ususal, I’m juggling too many things – a coat, purse (too full to close), carryon,  plane ticket, passport, sandwich – I wish Amie could see me, she pointed out long ago how I move through life with my arms full of stuff – always carrying something.
Paul’s mom tells me how amazing this whole Scotland thing is – how did I think of it?  She doesn’t know anyone else who has done something like this…. It’s so like her to imagine that this is MY idea and I made it happen all by myself. 

We are in the boarding area and I finally have a minute to call Ma (Paul’s mom) and Bets – Mom fell yesterday and she has been in a tremendous amount of pain, Karen says the meds are not controlling it – just when she is feeling well, now this….  I wish I could bring both of them over to Scotland for a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. omg! We hate to hear about your mom. we are so glad that there is family close to help her while you are gone. They know you would be there in a minute if you weren't across the ocean! G and G

    ReplyDelete