Friday 19 August 2011

Sunday, August 14: THE ESTATE

Dalkeith Palace sits on a 500+ acre estate which has been turned into a public park (the palace itself is off limits but the rest of the grounds are open so people can hike, have picnics, etc.)Paul and I went walking around the estate today and we were totally surprised at just how enormous it is.  I took him to the stables which I had discovered yesterday and which has moviesque feel about it – today there were people roaming around and 2-3 families behind the stables having a picnic.  The grounds are heavily wooded with wide open spaces here and there, paved roads, and “a river that runs through it”!  After I dropped Paul off at the house, I continued for a little so I could walk across a lovely arched stone bridge behind the palace – there is a dam underneath and I think this is what Paul hears from the new room he has moved into.  Montagu Bridge was built in 1792.
 

1 comment: